Tuesday, January 22, 2008

About Iraq

I read a dispatch from the blog of Mr. Michael Yon and how he covers the situation in Iraq by accompanying American soldiers in their missions.
I felt that his dispatches are an eye opener or at least a different view of the ongoing conflict within Iraq. I am aware that the world is divided in several camps of pro and against the war. Nevertheless, there are men out there just doing their job and trying to survive day after day.

I would suggest you to read one of them (even if you are against war) so that you can get an idea of what is happening over there.

I recall that my father once read a book and he read to me a passage that I remember until this day: "In times of war prepare for peace. In times of peace prepare for war". I don't remember the title of the book or who quoted that, but it makes me think on how ill prepared we are if things really get out of hand (more war and war reaching our homes). In the event of being in a war, how are we going to continue life after the war has ended? Are we going to be happy neighbors and invite each other over for a beer or maybe some barbecue?

I guess in the end that would be the result because Europe has had its share of war. After so many years and hard work they achieved peace (and I don't mean by winning a war).
It's never easy to become friends after a fight, but with a little bit of wisdom, patience and forgiveness (this is the toughest to do for sure) things can work out for the best.

I'd rather have my neighbor drinking a beer or two with me than shooting at each other with guns and missiles.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Neil said...

Hey Hector, by chance I just googled the same phrase your father read to you, and found your blog. Here's an example of its usage, from about the year 1900...

I thought of it because of another context. A friend just lost his contracting job, and it occurred to me that the best time to look for your next job, is when you still have your current one. Kind of a similar approach--try to manage rather than react to fate. Easier said than done of course.

Keep up the good work on the blog.

Héctor Santillán said...

Hi Neil,

thanks a lot for the link.
I do hope that your friend can manage the situation and wish him not luck, but endurance, persistence and success.

I guess we all get sometimes too complacent with our life situations and instead of managing (or foreseeing) we end up having to react.

This is a lot like in martial arts: you have to be able to see the strike coming at you instead of being hit first and then reacting.

Before I go, thanks for your comment. I have to get some blogging done again!

Happy Easter!